June 7, 2012
19:30 Crafts Lounge
(back to list)
- Officer thank you gift distribution
- The Ashdown mugs are here, and look awesome!
- Distribution of mugs is going to begin tonight at coffee hour, and continue next week at coffee hour
- If old officers are not able to pick them up at coffee hour, they should contact Rong to arrange some other way to pick them up.
- Officer retreat
- Officer retreat will take place on June 16, which seemed to be the most popular date. We are hoping that more people will be available now that the date is announced. Also once the event is announced, hopefully people will be interested in going.
- The plan is an afternoon in the park with fun events then dinner at the Tavern in the square. No plan for games yet, but Eva and Andy will put together a plan after visiting the Park on Saturday.
- Eva will send out an email tonight with the date (as a "save the date"). We will send out more details about the event later (Monday).
- Volunteering incentives
- We will schedule a meeting to train Ashdown officers on best practices for how to handle volunteers. We want to make sure that volunteers have a positive experience so that they want to come back and do it again.
- We agree that having some sort of gift to entice people to start volunteering is a good idea (most likely Ashdown t-shirts). We are hoping that this will be an incentive to start volunteering, and people will enjoy the experience enough that they continue doing it.
- In addition, we would like to have some sort of volunteer appreciation event and gift for those who continue to volunteer on a regular basis throughout the year.
- Ann suggested having a monthly raffle where those who have volunteered have their names entered for a prize. This might be a good way of encouraging people to continue volunteering as well as showing our appreciation for our volunteers.
- AHEC feedback
- There have been some complaints recently that AHEC is not doing a good enough job soliciting feedback from residents.
- AHEC will advertise that we are more than happy to take complaints/comments/suggestions from residents if anyone has something to suggest. We suggested posters reminding people that they can come to us with ideas or a slide on the TV.
- In addition, once a year (or once a semester) we will send out a very general survey asking for feedback on what we are doing well and what residents would like to see us do better in the future.
- Residential scholars
- Our associate housemasters are going to begin the process of choosing residential scholars for next year sometime in the near future.
- We feel that it is important to integrate them into Ashdown better - maybe by having them work with AHEC or the cultural committee.
- The residential scholar coordinator position may be going away when Brandon decides to graduate
- We decided that we would like to have them attend officer events such as the transition dinner and put them on the cultural committee mailing list. We will treat them like another committee and encourage them to interact more with the dorm and other officers.
- Cherry pie society
- We decided that the ideal location for these events will be one of our housemasters' apartments, pending their availability.
- The cherry pie society events will NOT be full dinners, but will instead be lighter appetizers or desserts. Perhaps a wine and cheese type event would be nice.
- Funding for these events will be from the housemasters.
- Ashdown mugs will be the thank you gift for most speakers, with an additional gift card for student speakers.
- Ann suggested that Tom Burbine may be a potential good person. He was a former AHEC chair and knows a lot about the history of Ashdown. He's living here as a sublicensee for the moth of June